You may not know yet, but I’m very active person. I work in few places, trying different things, learning a lot. I’m searching for new opportunity now and there are people/companies wanting me. Unfortunatelly, what’s happening – I don’t want them. Why? Let’s have a look on the most popular, yet bullshit, HR questions:
- Why do you want to work here?
- What’s your greatest weakness?
- What would your last boss say about you?
- Why should we hire you?
WHY ARE THESE BAD QUESTIONS?
1. As a candidate I don’t know whether I want the job yet. I came to the meeting/interview to learn more… And I feel like I was invited to learn more about the company and opportunity itself. Do you want to be asked “Why do you want to hire me? Probably not. So don’t ask me (or any candidate) “Why do you want the job?”
2. I believe it is just an opinion that people have “weaknesses;” it is not a scientific fact. Even if I do have weaknesses, why would it be any of your business what a my weaknesses are? You are not about to share your failings, so why you ask for mine.
3. Boss and boss can mean different things. Some managers are amazing leaders – role models – and some are just terrible. Just because someone is a boss doesn’t mean their opinion matters.
4. I’m not going to meet the other candidates for the job and I’m sure that if you recruiting – YOU know what you’re looking for. I don’t know the job jet so how to properly answer it?
I would ask this INSTEAD:
1. We liked XYZ in your resume and we are wonder what interested you in the job?
2. How do you think your background & talents suit this job?
3. What else would you like to know about the job?
4. How would this job advance your career?
What do you think about this? Would you suggest any other questions?